As you will be well aware the Coronavirus (COVID-19) is starting to impact upon our day to day lives.
Both the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers and the Church of England have issued advice to help mitigate against the risk posed, the message is simple and promotes good personal hygiene.
- CCCBR advice: https://cccbr.org.uk/2020/03/12/coronavirus-covid-19/
- Church of England: https://www.churchofengland.org/more/media-centre/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-churches
At this stage it is not necessary to suspend ringing, although the following precautions should be taken:
- Wash your hands with soap & water before ringing and wash them again afterwards - or use a high alcohol content hand sanitiser if soap & water not available.
- If you cough or sneeze 'Catch It, Bin It, Kill It'. Use disposable tissues, handkerchiefs act as a breeding ground for germs.
- Avoid touching your face unless you have washed your hands.
- DO NOT spit on your hands before ringing, this is a sure fire way to spread germs.
- If you are unfortunate enough to become ill, or have come into contact with a confirmed case of Coronavirus, please stay at home - don't come to a practice, service ringing or a district meeting.
- Follow NHS advice if you are ill or need to self-isolate
Please help support those within your towers who are at higher risk of infection, taking extra steps as necessary to safeguard them. Stay in touch with those who may find it necessary to self-isolate, phone calls and messages of support can be of great comfort.
It is not planned to cancel any association events at the moment, although as you will appreciate this is an evolving situation and it may become necessary in the weeks ahead.
We will be constantly reviewing official advice as it is received, if it is necessary to take any further steps this will be communicated by email and on social media.
As always please do get in contact if you need further advice or wish to discuss matters further.
Sussex County Association of Change Ringers